Skip to main content

Embracing the Doldrums of Life






The monotony, repetitions, and sameness of life, can become quite obvious. The same morning ritual, the same place of residence, and similar work, sleep patterns can often occur. Are the doldrum periods of time in one's life something to fear or to be embraced?

I think the doldrums in life can be viewed equally in regards to positivity or negativity. Are you a person who enjoys a comfortable lifestyle pattern? For example, my awesome, nurturing, caring fantastic mother is a person who enjoys the sedentary, nesting and domestic simple joys in life. My mother's happiness seems to be derived from such ordinary tasks as taking care of her home, gardening her front and back yards while being a caring and attentive grandmother. My mother has never been a loud partier, ambitious world traveler, or society bucking activist. My mom is an ideal example of a person who fondly embraces the calm, conservative and domestic lifestyle. She is a loving grandma who understands her comfort zone and lives within it.

How do you feel when experiencing the doldrums of life? Do you wish you were more adventurous? Do you wish you were a risk taker?  Are you willing to be outlandish? Some people are, and others simply do not have the innate D.N.A. for such boisterous activities.

The music rock star Jack White from his initial White Stripes raw rock band fame later created a sideband called the Raconteurs. The Raconteurs have a relevant song for this article, aptly titled, "Steady as She goes." In this melodic and gentle listening rock song, the lyrics profess to live a simple life in a quiet town and to grab a girl and settle down. It is the exact opposite mantra, of the usual rock n' roll themes of punk, drugs, sex, and obnoxious wildness. It is a song and idea that causes me to wonder what type of lifestyle is better suited for me? In which lifestyle would I be happier? Is the calm controlled and relaxed lifestyle better than the adventurous, vagabond and newfound excitement lifestyle? I don't have the answer. What do you think? Which lifestyle would you prefer?

My current residential neighborhood, in which I have lived and worked in full time for the past 7 years, yes 7 years is called Clarksville. It is a bohemian and older semi-historical neighborhood in central West Austin. The other day I chatted with an affluent older fellow Clarksville resident and longtime neighbor, who also owns property and splits living time in Carmel, California. He stated, "this neighborhood is just the best in the country." I then began thinking to myself in my head, really Mr. California? But hey, everyone's got a righteous viewpoint on what constitutes goodness in life.

On a side note, in current news, the California wildfires are a deathly disaster and tragedy for both the human race and mother nature. California was previously famous for the 1989 Candlestick Park in-game World Series Baseball earthquake, yet in current times, the nationwide massive wildfires have created fresh death and destruction. The wildfires have literally sabotaged and ended, Paradise, CA. The wildfires appear to be causing much more destruction than the earthquake natural disasters do. Dear California, please do know the rest of America also feels your grieving pain. In moving back to my West Austin, Clarksville neighborhood vibe, it is an extremely safe, sleepy, and stagnant neighborhood. Despite the city of Austin changing, growing and developing rapidly, the Clarksville neighborhood vibe retains it's tepid, dog walking, A.A.R.P (American Association of Retired Persons) pace. There are a few existing property remodels and new million dollar developments going up on West 9th street and Castle Hill, yet for the most part, the bohemian, old-school hippie stagnant vibe remains strongly prevalent.

Sometimes I personally wonder if I would be happier if I moved to a younger, more vibrant, exciting and nightlife infused neighborhood? Would an exciting neighborhood diffuse the boring sameness of my current residential living vibe? Would I be happier in an energetic neighborhood or after a month or two post address change, regret the move and overall decision? Hmm, I'm not sure of the answer.

I also think the doldrums in life sometimes limit a person's true talent and potential. I personally think every person in America should at least try to "make it big" 1x in their life. I gave it an ambitious run and went for it during my 5-year run living in New York City and Manhattan.  Could I give it another try, sure I could, I think. I will be 37 years old in a couple days. On the flip side, is the small town resident, that is peacefully operating in small town USA, equally as happy as the big-time celebrity or movie star? Happiness is a sliding scale and individual emotion. Happiness is felt on an individual level and is viewed far differently from one person to the next. I promise to not judge a unique person's lifestyle choices, as long as they are legal. Or in the case of certain plants, just like tomatoes, broccoli, and vegetables, others should be legal too.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BookPeople GVM Speaking Event, Professional photos taken by Jonathan Garza

GVM spoke and presented his brand new third book, "The Nation We Live In" in Mid February 2020, @BookPeople on the 2nd floor. $13.75 For Sale. Indie Published. This free to attend event went very well! (I personally paid BookPeople something like $250 bucks to set up, host and promote)  I read excerpts from the book for about 15-20 minutes, before opening up to audience Questions and engagement.  A number of signed books were also bought and sold! Click here for a direct online purchase link for: "The Nation We Live In" a collection of essays and short stories. Thanks to BookPeople and Jonathan Garza for the photography. 

"The Nation We Live In." $12.50 @ BookPeople Store Austin, Texas 1st Floor Travel Section

  https://www.bookpeople.com/

It was a Success! The Lone Star Book Festival 5.29.2021 was fantastic!

The Lone Star Book Festival in the Downtown Square of Seguin, Texas today was a SUCCESS! The Indie Authors and I had a friendly, cool wholesome meal @the Power Plant Restaurant and Venue Friday night. Good times all around. The Book Festival Today had roughly 50 or so individual author, music, and art tents. All were surrounding a well manicured Seguin downtown square park with a beautiful fountain. The  streets were  blocked off, and the visiting patrons and book inquisitor guests were gracious and welcoming. The guests even bought books too. Multiple fellow authors told me they sold 15 books or more. The day started off cool, overcast and drizzly, but by 11 am or 12 noon there were blue skies and sunshine. Thanks to BookPeople for the bookmarks, and BookPeople Bumper stickers. There were so many visitors, they all got taken. ---gvm