Skip to main content

South Padre Island Times







I decided to drive from my hometown of Austin, Texas to South Padre Island, for my SXSW Airbnb forced Spring Break Vacation hiatus and escape. I'm a liberal thinker and a conservative driver, thus what was "supposed" to be a 6-hour drive, in actuality after small town detours and 1 wrong turn became a 9-hour drive. Using up all of my car driving fortitude, I eventually made it to my own Airbnb beachside condo rental for the week. The Condo was located circa the 55th block of Gulf Boulevard. I would soon learn that Gulf street was the more peaceful, preferred and residential street, while Padre Street was the more urban, car honking, commercial and louder boulevard.

One thing I did confirm and learn, is that South  Padre Island in Texas is actually a real, natural and earthy island. If yall didn't already know the Miami Beach island is fake and was created by man. My cozy studio rental was located in a  1980's year built condominium privately owned complex. The complex despite its multi-colored patchy paint job, was actually okay. The complex was walking distance to the ocean. It had a gated pool and also a functional hot-tub. There were 1-2 police guards on attention as security over watching this 4-5 five-story complex the entire time. I'm gonna assume the security guards were there because of the rambunctiousness of it being college spring break week.

Once settled in my newly found functional home for the week, I began to venture out and about on South Padre Island. During my pre-trip planning, while gauging upon the Google Maps of South Padre Island, I figured my 6'1 self and legs could make it walkable. I quickly learned, the very north and south vertical island stretches long and is tiresome and cumbersome on upright walking legs. I eventually solved this laborious problem on the second day by renting a bike from a local SPI shop for the entire week for just 100 bucks, lock included! Hooray! Post blue elongated beach cruiser and low rider style bicycle acquisition, my South Padre Island experience was much happier!

I would describe the Spring Break week people demographics as a diverse mix. There was a multitude of different races, age ranges, ethnicities, residents and vacationers. My week must have been the Midwest USA's College Spring Break release. The college students I talked with were from states and geographical areas ranging from North Dakota to St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Kansas and beyond. In my approachable efforts, I tried to ask the college kids from the Midwest if there were any redeeming qualities about the Midwest and blatantly asked them as a native Texan if I should ever physically go to visit the Midwest. They said Nope! I recall them stating, "George there is no real reason for you to ever travel or vacation to the Midwest". Alright, direct from the source. I now know, to locate and discover more exotic destinations for my future travels. Aside from the hard-partying, golf cart driving, and boozy college kids, there were an ample amount of family type South Padre Island patrons. The Mom and Dads brought beach chairs and umbrellas to read and hang out under, while they acutely watched their energetic and playful children either dawdle in the ocean water or assist them with sand castle building. Moving along, the last large sector of South Padre Island patrons were retiree and snowbirds. The couple who owned my Airbnb rental was a prime example. They were originally from Minnesota and professed to spend 5 months out of the year at this specific complex in South Padre Island. They would be what we call "snowbirds." Snowbirds are folks who migrate South in order to escape the very real, frigid and arctic cold North USA Winters. The remaining South Padre Island older retired patrons were very easy-going. From what I could surmise the retirees were early morning walkers, beachside book readers, and night-time sleepers.  Where did I, George Vance McGee fit in while on South Padre Island? Well, somewhere I guess.

A few of my favorite commercial places on South Padre Island included Clayton's Beach Bar, (The Largest Beach Bar in Texas) and Fred's Restaurant for a tasty, quick cheap breakfast fueled with unlimited coffee refills!  I actually went to Fred's for breakfast daily, as it was my favorite eatery spot. Louie's and Tequila Sunset on the Bay Side were worthy and well-attended nightlife waterfront Clubs to party and drink. In my eyes the Wanna Beach Bar was historically cool to witness, imbibe at, eat and experience. I was aware of it from my high school days of listening to a Texas country singer named, Owen Temple. He sang a song called, "Wanna Wanna Bar." The song was about a man or character who kept having difficulties by falling in love with women, then having the women divorce him and take his money. Then he'd be left stuck alone and drinking his troubles away with a rum and cola while beachside at the Wanna Wanna Bar, waiting on a love that won't come. It was a 1990's era Texas country song, that I am still an avid fan of today and will be forever. Click Here for a quick GVM  Filmed Wanna Wanna You Tube Visitor Video





One of my biggest, mainstream and popular, yet frustrating events was purchasing a day bash concert ticket to see the Grammy Winning Rapper Cardi B, at the Island Grand Beach Resort. I guess any flash in the pan gets a Grammy Award these days? The day bash and concert tickets set me back 65 bucks. I arrived the day of the concert around 1 pm, chilled byob beer cooler in hand and ready to go! Even with a pre-purchased ticket, the beach bash took over 1 hour in time just to clear the line and military-like security details. It was annoying. I felt sorry for the concert goers behind me patiently in line. Upon actual entry, the beach bash was just a DJ playing and blasting rap songs from a stage out to the ocean waves, while drunk college kids meandered about. On the plus side, I was provided free Fireball cinnamon Whiskey shots. Yes, sir! There was a section of party girls that stood on shoulders and tables and shook their tanned booties and thongs the entire time. What delightful energy to gaze upon! There were also plenty of cute bikini wearing girls to talk to and be amongst while waiting for the concert. We were informed by the promoters that Cardi B was supposed to play the event at 3 pm, yet we as the audience were kept waiting and waiting and waiting. The schedule show start time was missed and we the audience were left waiting to bake in the afternoon sun. With the entire paid for audience grumpily waiting until 6 pm coupled with the sun going down, you could feel the crowd's letdown, anger, and gloom. We wondered if we were gonna get our prepaid tickets reimbursed? Yet lastly, Cardi-B did finally hit the stage. We were shocked! Her rap concert and the back- up dancers put forth an honest effort. It was not a lengthy set, but it was about 35-50 minutes in duration I'd bet. You could tell her true ride or die fans finally got to enjoy her appearance and live rapping in the flesh. It was also obvious to myself and the entire crowd Cardi-B was sporting 2 very large plastic breasts on stage. Her stage outfit showcased them prominently. Cardi-B told the crowd in current times, she's a mom and wished she was rowdier and younger. Later she did actually physically do a full backside twerk session for the crowd to awe. For me personally, at 37 years old, the 6-hour plus on your feet day drinking, sun draining and majorly pushed back concert tardiness had zapped all of my energy, enthusiasm, and intrigue for the show. Oh well....it was something to do.


Overall, my virgin South Padre Island Times were a week of newness exploration, vacation, napping, ocean listening, beer drinking, beach bike cruising, meal satisfying and bayside sunset leisure. Is South  Padre Island the best beach in Texas, yes, but how far does that true statement get us? Texans are more proud of their trucks, ranches, and barb-que than their Gulf Coast beaches.  S.P.I. in comparison to my spoiled and previous beautiful beach vacations of San Diego, Cuba, Santa Barbara, Costa Rica, California, Carmel, Miami Beach, Playa Del Carmen, Cancun and Isla Mujeres in Mexico would have to be placed at the rear of the bus as a travel destination.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BookPeople GVM Speaking Event, Professional photos taken by Jonathan Garza

GVM spoke and presented his brand new third book, "The Nation We Live In" in Mid February 2020, @BookPeople on the 2nd floor. $13.75 For Sale. Indie Published. This free to attend event went very well! (I personally paid BookPeople something like $250 bucks to set up, host and promote)  I read excerpts from the book for about 15-20 minutes, before opening up to audience Questions and engagement.  A number of signed books were also bought and sold! Click here for a direct online purchase link for: "The Nation We Live In" a collection of essays and short stories. Thanks to BookPeople and Jonathan Garza for the photography. 

"The Nation We Live In." $12.50 @ BookPeople Store Austin, Texas 1st Floor Travel Section

  https://www.bookpeople.com/

It was a Success! The Lone Star Book Festival 5.29.2021 was fantastic!

The Lone Star Book Festival in the Downtown Square of Seguin, Texas today was a SUCCESS! The Indie Authors and I had a friendly, cool wholesome meal @the Power Plant Restaurant and Venue Friday night. Good times all around. The Book Festival Today had roughly 50 or so individual author, music, and art tents. All were surrounding a well manicured Seguin downtown square park with a beautiful fountain. The  streets were  blocked off, and the visiting patrons and book inquisitor guests were gracious and welcoming. The guests even bought books too. Multiple fellow authors told me they sold 15 books or more. The day started off cool, overcast and drizzly, but by 11 am or 12 noon there were blue skies and sunshine. Thanks to BookPeople for the bookmarks, and BookPeople Bumper stickers. There were so many visitors, they all got taken. ---gvm